24hrs your soap should be ready to be removed from the mould.
soap has to be cured has nothing to do with the sodium hydroxide levels it’s
all about the water content evaporating. It will take about 6 weeks for enough
water to evaporate and the soap to become hard enough to use. You will be able to
use it before the 6 weeks but it will be too soft and you will find yourself
getting through it far too quickly. Also, it will probably become slimy and
gooey on the bottom when left in your soap dish after use.
you leave your soap to cure the harder it will become as more water will
evaporate, so a soap of six months old would be harder than one at six weeks.
It does eventually reach a point when it will not get any harder and the
majority of water has evaporated.
occassionally during the cure the top of your soap will lookfrosty white, like it has been dusted with
icing sugar – this is will appear within the first few days and although frustrating,
is quite harmless and will usually disappear the first time you use your bar of
forms when unsaponified lye reacts with carbon dioxide in the air. Covering
your mould with a towel or blanket to insulate it forces your soap to go through
the gel stage and this helps to prevent soda ashing.
to help prevent your soap from ashing is to spray the top of your soap mixture
with 99% isopropyl alcohol as soon as you pour it into the mould. This provides
despair, if you do get soda ashing it is just cosmetic and your soap will still
be wonderful to use.